(1962). Born in Rovigo (Rovigo, Italy).
(1981-1988). Medical Degree, University of Padova (Italy).
(1988-1992). Clinical Specialty in Pediatric, University of Padova (Italy)
(1995-1997). Ph. D. in Pediatric Oncology, University of Padova, Italy.
(1998- until now): Consultant Pediatric Oncologist. Division of Hematology-Oncology, Pediatric Department Hospital-University of Padua, Padua, Italy.
(2000-2001): Consultant Pediatric Oncologist in the Children’s Department of the Royal Marsden Hospital Sutton, Surrey, UK
(2011-until now): Head of the Solid Tumor Unit. Division of Hematology-Oncology, Pediatric Department Hospital-University of Padua, Padua, Italy.
(2015 until now): Associate Professor in Pediatric, University of Padua, Italy
- Research and contributions to science. Gianni Bisogno is Consultant Pediatric Oncologist and Head of the Solid Tumor Unit at the Division of Hematology-Oncology, Department of Woman’s and Child’s Health in Padova, Italy. His clinical and research activities focus mainly on childhood solid tumors. He has been Coordinator of the Italian Soft Tissue Sarcoma Committee (STSC) since 2007. Over the years, he has succeeded in empowering the group’s activities, promoting the launch of several clinical trials, and creating a multidisciplinary team that supports the activities of all Italian pediatric oncology centers by providing services for central diagnostic reviews, molecular biology characterization, real-time advice on difficult cases, and treatments not available elsewhere in Italy. Professor Bisogno was one of the founders of the EpSSG in 2004, becoming the PI of the European trial on localized rhabdomysarcoma (RMS2005 trial), which has been registering patients from approximately 150 European centers and includes two different randomized studies. Experience gained with such rare tumors as pediatric sarcomas was pivotal in establishing a new collaborative scheme in 2000 called the TREP (Tumori rari in età pediatrica) project. This has been the most successful initiative in favor of children with very rare tumors (nasopharyngeal carcinoma, pediatric melanoma, pleuropulmonary blastoma, pancreatic cancer, and others) that have tended to be rather neglected by the pediatric oncology community. A national network has been established, guidelines for diagnosis and treatment have been drawn up, and clinical data have been collected. A molecular biology research program has also been organized. The model adopted for the TREP project was subsequently used by other European countries as well and this led to the foundation of the EXPeRT (European Cooperative study for Pediatric rare tumors) in Padova in June 2008. Prof Bisogno is also responsible of OPTO (Pediatric Oncology Trial Office) dedicated to manage studies on new drugs. He has been leader or partner in several projects supported by different institutions, including European funded projects such as EPOC, ENCCA and EXPORNET. He is the coordinator of the recently approved PARTNER, a EU funded project dedicated to create a European Registry for children with very rare tumors. His activity is also focused to promote and manage clinical trials with new drugs in paediatric oncology
- Publications. 205 papers with a total impact factor of >845. Citations: >3994 with a Hirsch-index of 31 (Scopus). 9 book chapters published.
- Lectures and Posters. More than 67 invited lectures as plenary speaker between national, international meetings and for University lectures, and more than 275 abstracts presented in international meetings.
- Tutoring. Tutor for 23 undergraduate students for thesis discussion between the faculty of medicine. He is member of the Teaching Commission of the School of Specialization in Pediatric, Padua University. Since 2016 he is teacher at the European School of Oncology (ESO). He organizes national and international meeting.
- Laboratory Management. He currently coordinator of Solid Tumor laboratory (Sarcoma Unit) at Istituto di Ricerca pediatrica, Città della Speranza (Padova) 5 between post-doc and senior researcher. The laboratory is the reference laboratory of the AIEOP soft tissue sarcoma working group and offers these services at a national and international level.
- Grants (1999-2018). 12 grants as principal investigator and 10 as co-investigators, including 3 Ricerca Finalizzata, 1 AIRC, 5 European calls. Total 22 grants.
- Memberships. He has been member of the Scientific Board of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation) that in collaboration with the German Ministry of health supports clinical research project (2008- 2010). Member of the Comissió d’Oncologia Pediatrica de Catalunya of Cat Salut (2010-2011). Elect by the Chairs of the European clinical trial Group as their representative in the Board of the International Society of Pediatric Oncology – Europe (SIOPE) (2013). Member of the group created by SIOPE and parents’ organization to lobby for the improvement pediatric drugs regulation (2016 European Parliament, Brussels). Member of ITCC (Innovative Therapy for Children with Cancer) for new drugs research in pediatric oncology. Representative for the Hospital of Padua in the Paediatric Cancer European Reference Network (PAEDCAN ERN) (2017). Member of Associazione Italiana di Ematologia e Oncologia Pediatrica (AIEOP) national scientific commette.
- Editorial activities. Editor of the Cochrane Childhood Cancer Group (2003-). Reviewer for many scientific journal including Journal of Clinical Oncology, European Journal of Cancer, Cancer, Annals of Oncology, British Journal of Cancer, BMC Cancer, Pediatric Blood and Cancer.
Latest pubblications: Click here
Corso Stati Uniti, 4 F
Phone: +39 049 9640111
Fax: +39 049 9640101